Monday, October 21, 2019

Streaming Services and their Woes and Errors.

This streaming war isn't going to turn out well for any involved, I say. Companies such as Netflix were great for one reason,and one reason only; we could go there and see content from a lot of different places, at an affordable price. These smaller versions, with only their own content, are not gong to do as well, as they are basically just streaming versions of television stations. People already pay for those, with cable and satellite subscriptions, and I for one won't pay twice for that. If it's one provider on the service, it's a channel. Why would I care about streaming? Do you hear that, networks that offer "all access" sorts of deals?  Nope, not paying twice for your channel.  Nor do I want a handful of streaming services, to have to search around for the content I want to watch.  I can do that with the tv remote right now, and my television service.  Streaming was supposed to be different.

We are being told, Netflix Takes on $2 Billion in Debt as Disney, Apple Launch Competition.  Well, whatever.  These companies don't want to listen tot he viewers, and don't pay attention, and they can all lose money,a s far as I am concerned, and perhaps learn n the process, and become something good again. 

Netflix used to be good.  When I joined, I spent some time rating a LOT of movies.  A lot.  I wanted good recommendations, and they had a great algorithm for that.  I'd see plenty of recommendations for movies, and the rating they predicted was typically right on target, or I'd like the fil even better.  I saw a lot of things I might have not watched that way, and that I really enjoyed.  All was well.  Then they decided to bow to political pressure, because of some whining Leftist who couldn't handle criticism, and they did away with their good rating system.  Used to be, you gave a number of stars, 1-5, to a movie or show.  Good system, worked great.  They decided to gowith a simple thumb up or down, though, and since then, the recommendations have gone down the toilet.  I see, instead of things I'd actually like to watch, recommendations for stuff you couldn't pay me to watch.  Literally.  Complain, and the response is to ask if you want to cancel your service!  Not, "Gee, let me make a note of that, and pass it along, and I hope we can improve for you."  Nope, they just don't seem to care. 

Add to this, they have lost a LOT of good content.  Tons of movies and television shows are no longer available to stream, that were in the past.  Some have been lost to other platforms, and soe just dropped, apparently.  They do add new content, but a lot of it is really substandard, much is foreign, and it's nowhere near as good as it used to be.  In the past, I could spend a lot of time worting through several things I wanted to see, trying to choose one, and now, I have to spend a lot of time tryng to find anything worth watching.  That they LIE in some descriptions doesn't help, either.  Yes, lie.  I just watched a truly HORRIBLE movie, because the description was complete BS, and didn't even match what you can see elsewhere online.  Word of advice, if you aren't already familiar with what the movie or show is suposed to be, look it up elsewhere before watching.  Don't trust Netflix to describe t properly. 

Of course, we already know we can't trust them, since they've partnered with the "former first couple" lying scumbags.  They seem to think that has nothing to do with their loss of revenue.  They're wrong.  Now, don't get me wrong; I don't expect to approve of every single program a streaming service shows, and I can just not watch things I don't like.  I am sure there are people who wouldn't watch things I like, and that's alright.  However, you have to have some standards.  They should also have a way to avoid completely certain categories, if you don't want to see those in your listings.  They don't, though.

I see these companies losing a lot of money.  Netflix is already in debt, and these smaller ones won't be able to sustain themselves, for long, on exclusive shows.  Too many choices, too many other places we can watch something, to cause people to pay for many little services.  Imagine paying individually for television stations.  It doesn't work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment